What are the different styles of yoga?
Hatha yoga classes are divided into many different schools, including:
- Ashtanga yoga: Very vigorous, fast-paced style according to the teachings of Sri K. Pattabhi Jois
- Anusara yoga: Alignment-based, expressive practice created by John Friend
- Iyengar yoga: Precise and alignment-based according to the teachings of B.K.S. Iyengar
- Vinyasa or “power” yoga: Vigorous, faster-paced style based on Ashtanga yoga
- Viniyoga: Therapeutic style based on the teachings of Desikachar
- Kundalini: Based on the teachings of Yogi Bhajan
- Kripalu: Alignment-based; focus on prana and self-acceptance; from Kripalu Center.
The etiquette for yoga classes is a bit different from other group classes. All etiquette guidelines can be summed up in respecting others present:
* Practice good hygiene and avoid using heavily scented products.
* Arrive on time. Occasional lateness is understandable, but arriving late disrupts the class and does not allow you to warm up properly.
* During class, it is appropriate to ask the teacher questions but please avoid unnecessary conversation or comments. Yoga classes require a focused and quiet environment.
* Follow the teacher’s instructions. It is always acceptable to modify or leave out a posture, but doing your own side practice is disrespectful to the teacher and distracting to the class.
* Take responsibility for your own well-being. Don’t push yourself too hard or compare yourself with others. Yoga is a personal practice, not a sport. Know your own limits and be patient — every stage of your development is valuable.
Do you have mats that students can borrow?
Yes! Please wipe down the mat after using it and leave it out to dry.
What is your pay-as-you-can policy?
Money should not prevent you from coming. If you cannot afford to pay the class rate, please pay what you are able to.
What are the benefits of membership?
Rainforest membership is $26 a year and allows you to receive discounts on workshops and 8-class packages. Revenue generated from memberships also supports our mission and allows us to provide scholarships and workshops.
When and how do I pay for a class?
Please visit our website and click on “Sign Up”. You can also download the MindBody app from your mobile device; search for “Rainforest Yoga”. Once you create a profile, you will be able to schedule your next class and pay using the app or on your computer.
There is also basket by the sign-in sheet where you can place cash or checks. Please make out checks to your teacher. It’s fine to pay before or after class. If you need to make other arrangements, please talk to the instructor.
How do I buy discounted classes?
Become a member of RFY for $26 and then you will be able to purchase 8-class packages and workshops at a discounted rate.
Does the studio have drinking water?
No. Please bring your own bottle for water.
Can I arrange private classes with a teacher?
Many of our teachers will arrange private lessons. Please contact the studio (or an individual teacher) to discuss arrangements.